Bersin by Deloitte has just released its Predictions for 2017: Everything Is Becoming Digital report. Amongst the 11 predictions for HR there are specific predictions for Learning and Development.
2017 will be a tipping point for L&D and we will see dozens of world-class “digital learning” solutions all over the world.
Overall, the report says that, due to the rapid and non-stop changes in technology and expectations from the business, Learn and Development has fallen behind and will continue to struggle in 2017. The challenges L&D faces will be in a context of Massive HR transformation to a performance oriented, employee responsive digital culture that can address the impact of future work.
They predict that (comments in blue are mine):
- Real-time feedback and analytics will explode in maturity. While L&D isn’t mentioned specifically in this prediction, it does discuss HR as a whole. With the advent of xAPI and cmi5 to better report today’s ongoing and often social learning focused learning experiences, we should be able to make a remarkable move forward in this area.
- 2017 will see the launch of new and highly restructured LMS’s. This will be refreshing for the companies in a position to adopt new LMS’s as the current LMS’s aren’t built to deal with the challenges that social and blended learning ecosystems create. In addition, a myriad of new social tools are being launched and improved as well. Add xAPI to the mix and L&D technology and its impact will begin a radical change in 2017.
- Video and self-directed learning will become the dominant factors in organizational learning moving forward. The shift to a micro-learning, “always-on” model of learning will accelerate in 2017. Social Learning and learning eco-systems design will also contribute a transformation of the work of Instructional Designers and Facilitators.
- L&D functions will need to be rethought and restructured. Bersin by Deloitte points out that while L&D is aware of this change and is driving the discussion, two-thirds of all corporate learning organizations are structured with a centralized training function based upon old models. L&D personnel and competencies need to be built into the business units to become more responsive. New competencies, some relatively alien to many L&D professionals, will be incorporated into existing jobs and new roles will be created.
- L&D needs to take the lead on driving a culture change in organizations to an always-on learning focus. They task us with showing managers that they need to drive learning because it is tied to the success of business. We need to tie learning inextricably to performance , leadership skills, and organizational success and become marketing stars.
- “2017 will be a tipping point for L&D and we will see dozens of world-class “digital learning” solutions all over the world.” 2017 will make heroes out of agile learning leaders who can drive innovative and creative solutions that change the course of organizational learning.
What do you think? Is Bersin by Deloitte on the mark in their predictions? is your L&D organization ready to lead this massive change? Are you ready?